[CentOS] vsftpd rejects users set to nologin

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Jan 10 21:08:45 UTC 2019

I updated to CentOS 7.6 and something must have changed in the base OS
setup  that prevents vsftpd from allowing logins for accounts with
/sbin/nologin as their shell. I had to add that to /etc/shells so that such
accounts could FTP again. That file is in the setup package. Did it include
/sbin/nologin before? I don't have anything in my notes from setting up the
system last year about changing that. What's the history of shells listed
in /etc/shells?