[CentOS] Yum refuses to install kmod-8188eu from elrepo

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:54:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:49 AM Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:03:22PM -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
> > Another alternative may be to pull down the SRPM and run it through rpmbuild
> > to locally create a binary package compatible with the system as it's
> > currently installed/running.
>
> I encourage this behavior, however, elrepo kmod packages often have
> the kernel version hard-coded into it, so you'd need to either edit
> the .spec file, or run rpmbuild with a
>
> --define 'kversion 3.10.0-957.1.3.el7.x86_64'
>
> to force it to build against the latest el7 kernel.

Well, I wouldn't call it "hard-coded', but yes, if the kernel version
is not defined from the command line, then whatever the version
defined in the spec file is used. :)

By the way, the updated package is now in the elrepo testing repository, e.g.

https://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el7/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-8188eu-4.1.4_6773.20130222-5.el7_6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

Akemi