[CentOS] C7, firewalld and rich rules

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 23:39:11 UTC 2019

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 17:43, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Warren Young wrote:
>
> > It’s much the same as asking why there aren’t automatic programming
> > language conversion tools: we wouldn’t need more than one programming
> > language if they all mapped 1:1 to each other, short of going down to the
> > machine code level and back up the technology stack.
>
> You mean like the one I meant to use 25 or so years ago, basic2c? You let
> them do the mass conversion, then you fix it. A lot faster than rewriting
> *everything*.

Then 2 years later you have to figure out why some obscure thing is
happening, can't read the converted code and just rewrite it all from
scratch. [having been on that one for various programs converted via
Fortran2C, Forth2C, Basic2C, and Prolog2C.] Yes it is good to do a simple
job but if you are doing something complicated which it sounds like your
firewall rules are doing.. then you need to just learn the new tool and use
it OR keep using what you have with the iptables.services until it is EOL.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.