[CentOS] CentOS 6.X, iptables 1.47 and GeoLite2 Country Database

Mon Jan 14 07:09:32 UTC 2019
Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au>

Hi

Specs in subject line: CentOS 6.X all latest patches), iptables 1.47, Apache2.2

I use the Geolite legacy databases together with iptables 1.47 to filter traffic for a variety of ports and only allow .AU traffic to have access.

Maxmind (https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/) changed the default DB to the latest version which is GeoLite2, this leaves all users in need of the old Geolite Legacy database in the dark, they cannot update.

If I download a later version of xtables it will complain that it requires iptable>1.6 which I do not think I can get going on CentOS 6.X.

Is there a way that I can convert Geolite2 CSV files to Geolite Legacy CSV Files and then compile those into BE/LE?

Are there any other ways I can use Geolite2 on a CentOS 6.X system?

Does anyone have other ideas how to tackle this?

(this made me really sleep well!)

thanks
Jobst

--
"XP: If you are nine years old you are just going to love it.  If you're a few years older you'll resent the choking paternalistic atmosphere of vapid gee-whiz kiddie entertainment (babysitting), euphemism and fake-friendly bullying."