[CentOS] thunderbird & firefox

Fri Jan 4 16:56:09 UTC 2019
Bill Gee <bgee at campercaver.net>

On Friday, January 4, 2019 10:28:35 AM CST mark wrote:
> I *really* dislike the new photon UI. I WANT the arrow buttons top and
> bottom of the scrollbars.
>
> Does anyone know how to bring them back, or is that "that's *sooo* last
> year, you can't ever have them again"?
>
>         mark

Assuming you are talking about GTK-based applications (and I think Mozilla apps are that), then edit this file.  On my Fedora 29 system:

===> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css  Add these lines:

.scrollbar, scrollbar {
   -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
   -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
}

Restart the apps and the arrows should appear.  They are small!  I suspect more editing of the .css file can make them larger, but I have not managed to find the exact entry.

There is also a way to keep the scroll bars from disappearing when you mouse away from them.

===> /etc/environment  Add this line:

GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0

You have to logout/login to make this take effect.

And last - If slider warping really bothers you (it does me!), you can change it with this edit:

===> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=0

With this setting, clicking the the scroll bar above or below the handle moves one page instead of warping to the relative position in the document.

--
Bill Gee