[CentOS] Help finishing off Centos 7 RAID install

Thu Jan 10 16:35:05 UTC 2019
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On 1/9/19 2:30 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>> 1) The big problem with this is that it is dependant on sda for booting.
>> did find an aritcle on how to set up boot loading on multiple HDD's,
>> including cloning /boot/efi but I now can't find it.  Does anyone know
>> of a
>> similar article?
>

> Use RAID1 for /boot/efi as well.  The installer should get the details
> right.

Are you sure? How is the EFI firmware going to know about the RAID1?

RAID1 is going to have type FD00 (Linux RAID) whereas EFI firmware expects
type EF00 (EFI System Partition) to boot from.

EFI then reads the GPT table directly and looks for a vfat filesystem to
boot from. Default Linux software RAID1 on EL7 uses metadata 1.2 which is
located at the beginning of the partition. EFI won't recognize the vfat
filesystem behind the RAID metadata.

Maybe certain EFI firmware is more tolerant but at least in my case I
didn't get it to work on RAID1 at all.

I'd really be interested if someone got it to work, how exactly it's
configured. How exactly do the GPT tables look, how exactly is the RAID1
configured.

Regards,
Simon