[CentOS] [EXT] Re: Inconsistent NIS Client Behavior w/ Centos 7.6

Wed Jan 16 19:05:41 UTC 2019
Capehart, William J <William.Capehart at sdsmt.edu>

Hi James.

Thanks for bringing that up.

In reviewing the /etc/nsswitch.conf files they LOOKED identical.  I then went into one of the errant ones and saw that passwd looked odd in the editor.

I retyped that line and the and shadow and group lines and restarted and indeed it worked.  Not sure how that occurred but it did work.

Thanks Much!
Bill

On 1/16/19, 10:32 MST, "James Pearson" <james-p at moving-picture.com> wrote:

    Capehart, William J wrote:

    > I am working on bringing back a number of Centos 7 rigs in our
    > student computer lab back online. No change was made to the existing
    > server machine [running Scientific Linux 6]
    >
    > Right now there is one remaining thing to resolve: an inconsistency
    > with the rigs' NIS Clients.
    >
    > I have configured rcpbind and ypbind following guidance from Server
    > World ( https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_7&p=nis&f=2 )
    > identically on all of the client machines.  I have done this before
    > with previous installs before this.  The last time was this summer.
    > Three are behaving as they are supposed to do. Five, however, are
    > not.
    >
    > In this process I have repeatedly checked that support files ..
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/network
    > /etc/yp.conf
    > /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac
    > /etc/pam.d/system-auth
    > /etc/login.defs
    > /etc/sysconfig/authconfig

    Do you have nis set up in /etc/nsswitch.conf ?

    James Pearson