[CentOS] Yum refuses to install kmod-8188eu from elrepo

Wed Jan 23 00:32:38 UTC 2019
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 09:41:09 -0800 Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 8:01 AM Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That output indicates that that kmod package is built for the EL 7.5
> > kernel and is not compatible with the current kernel. I suggest you
> > file a request to have the kmod-8188eu rebuilt for EL 7.6 at
> > http://elrepo.org/bugs/ .
>
> Users seeing the same issue can now go to:
>
> https://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=893

Just for the record --- the kmod has been rebuilt against the new
kernel (thanks for the very fast response!!), and the new version does
install successfully.

Of course, then I ran into a separate issue with 8188eu driver
requiring the old wext driver, while NetworkManager working only with
the new nl80211 driver... After some googling, it seems that this issue
is best discussed here:

    https://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/getting-realtek-8188eu-wireless-adapters-to-work-in-linux-and-possibly-other-wireless-realtek-chipsets

Using wicd instead of NetworkManager somehow failed me, but the manual
startup of wpa_supplicant did work, and the wifi dongle finally came to
life, and works perfectly.

Thanks again to Akemi, and elrepo!

Best, :-)
Marko