[CentOS] C7, mdadm issues

Tue Jan 29 17:47:13 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> Il 29/01/19 15:03, mark ha scritto:
>
>> I've no idea what happened, but the box I was working on last week has
>> a *second* bad drive. Actually, I'm starting to wonder about that
>> particulare hot-swap bay.
>>
>> Anyway, mdadm --detail shows /dev/sdb1 remove. I've added /dev/sdi1...
>> but see both /dev/sdh1 and /dev/sdi1 as spare, and have yet to find a
>> reliable way to make either one active.
>>
>> Actually, I would have expected the linux RAID to replace a failed one
>> with a spare....
>>
>> Clues for the poor? I *really* don't want to freak out the user by
>> taking it down, and building yet another array.
>>
>> mark

> Hi Mark,
> can you report your raid configuration like raid level and raid
> devices and the current status from /proc/mdstat?

Well, nope. I got to the point of rebooting the system (xfs had the RAID
volume, and wouldn't let go; I also commented out the RAID volume.

It's RAID 5, /dev/sdb *also* appears to have died. If I do
mdadm --assemble --force -v /dev/md0  /dev/sd[cefgdh]1
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/sdc1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 0.
mdadm: /dev/sdd1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot -1.
mdadm: /dev/sde1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 2.
mdadm: /dev/sdf1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 3.
mdadm: /dev/sdg1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 4.
mdadm: /dev/sdh1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot -1.
mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 1 of /dev/md0
mdadm: added /dev/sde1 to /dev/md0 as 2
mdadm: added /dev/sdf1 to /dev/md0 as 3
mdadm: added /dev/sdg1 to /dev/md0 as 4
mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 5 of /dev/md0
mdadm: added /dev/sdd1 to /dev/md0 as -1
mdadm: added /dev/sdh1 to /dev/md0 as -1
mdadm: added /dev/sdc1 to /dev/md0 as 0
mdadm: /dev/md0 assembled from 4 drives and 2 spares - not enough to start
the array.

--examine shows me /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sdh1, but that both are spares.

      mark