[CentOS] CentOS 8 partiitioning for reliability

Sun Jul 28 09:01:15 UTC 2019
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:21 PM +0200 hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:

> In any case, get two 147GB disks to install the system on and use some
> RAID mirror setup to create two logical volumes.  That separates system
> from data and leaves you two spares for when a disk fails.

I'm considering buying a couple 512GB SSDs to run in a mirror as the boot
drive and use all the regular drives in hardware RAID 6 as /home (including
IMAP email and Samba shares). I'm guessing I should put swap on the
spindles?

> You may want to take out some of the memory and check power consumption
> since more memory might consume more power, and you don't need that much.

Good idea. I'll probably cut it down to 32 GB, mostly for use by
SpamAssassin and ClamAV.