[CentOS] HPE ProLiant - support Linux Vendor Firmware Service ?

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jul 1 19:15:00 UTC 2019

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 19:38:29 +0100
> lejeczek via CentOS wrote:
>
>> I also a few years ago got Dell's tech support telling me to
>> do MS-DOS stuff in order to update BIOS.
>
> So what's wrong with using DOS to update firmware?  DOS is a small and
> simple program loader that's unlikely to require much in the way of
> hardware to work and is unlikely to be infected by a virus in today's
> world.
>
> Would you rather have to boot a mulit-gigabyte image of who-knows-what
> that does ghawd-knows-what for what should be simple task?

The above is really weird. From CentOS 5, 6, and 7, I've run Dell's
firmware update from a running system, no OMSA. Updates with no problems.

And I have to say I really like Dell's firmware installer - it scans the
system, and then *tells* you that a) it is for that system, and b) that
this is newer than the current, and do you want to install.

       mark