[CentOS] raid 5 install

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Jul 2 06:14:12 UTC 2019

> On 2019-07-01 10:01, Warren Young wrote:
>> On Jul 1, 2019, at 8:26 AM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> RAID function, which boils down to simple, short, easy to debug well
>>> program.
>
> I didn't intend to start software vs hardware RAID flame war when I
> joined somebody's else opinion.
>
> Now, commenting with all due respect to famous person who Warren Young
> definitely is.
>

>> RAID firmware will be harder to debug than Linux software RAID, if only
>> because of easier-to-use tools.
>
> I myself debug neither firmware (or "microcode", speaking the language
> as it was some 30 years ago), not Linux kernel. In both cases it is
> someone else who does the debugging.
>
> You are speaking as the person who routinely debugs Linux components. I
> still have to stress, that in debugging RAID card firmware one has small
> program which this firmware is.
>
> In the case of debugging EVERYTHING that affects reliability of software
> RAID, on has to debug the following:
>
> 1. Linux kernel itself, which is huge;
>
> 2. _all_ the drivers that are loaded when system runs. Some of the
> drivers on one's system may be binary only, like NVIDIA video card
> drives. So, even for those who like Warren can debug all code, these
> still are not accessible.
>
> All of the above can potentially panic kernel (as they all run in kernel
> context), so they all affect reliability of software RAID, not only the
> chunk of software doing software RAID function.
>

>> Furthermore, MD RAID only had to be debugged once, rather that once per
>> company-and-product line as with hardware RAID.
>
> Alas, MD RAID itself not the only thing that affects reliability of
> software RAID. Panicking kernel has grave effects on software RAID, so
> anything that can panic kernel had also to be debugged same thoroughly.
> And it always have to be redone once changed to kernel or drivers are
> introduced.
>

>> I hope you’re not assuming that hardware RAID has no bugs.  It’s
>> basically a dedicated CPU running dedicated software that’s difficult to
>> upgrade.
>
> That's true, it is dedicated CPU running dedicated program, and it keeps
> doing it even if the operating system crashed. Yes, hardware itself can
> be unreliable. But in case of RAID card it is only the card itself.
> Failure rate of which in my racks is much smaller that overall failure
> rate of everything. In case of kernel panic, any piece of hardware
> inside computer in some mode of failure can cause it.
>
> One more thing: apart from hardware RAID "firmware" program being small
> and logically simple, there is one more factor: it usually runs on RISC
> architecture CPU, and introduce bugs programming for RISC architecture
> IMHO is more difficult that when programming for i386 and amd64
> architectures. Just my humble opinion I carry since the time I was
> programming.

> [...]

It can also be the other way around: If you are a Linux only shop and you
have a large number of systems with a large number of different controller
brands and generations, you may just start to hate how they all work
differently, have their different issues and can really give lots of gray
hairs. Doing it all with MD RAID can make your life much easier!

Peoples should also be aware that the firmware of common desktop disks is
not optimal for handling errors in RAID configurations. They need
different firmware parameters for optimal use in RAID, be it hardware or
software.

Regards,
Simon