[CentOS] Have you run "tuned-adm profile throughput-performance" ?

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jul 5 20:46:04 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 11:48:45AM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 7/4/19 10:18 PM, Steven Tardy wrote:
> >I would also look at power settings in the BIOS and c-state settings in the
> >BIOS and OS as disabling c-states (often enabled by default to meet
> >green/energy star compliance) can make a noticeable performance difference.
>

> I'd be surprised if it did, but now that you mention it, I think
> that we should probably mention more often that CentOS's default
> performance policy is power-saving, which will cut maximum
> performance in half.  Every physical system running CentOS should
> have run "tuned-adm profile throughput-performance".
>
> http://jperrin.org/centos/boosting-centos-server-performance/

Not for my (admittedly dog-like) AcerAspire One netbook, dual core
1.6 GHz Aton with a whopping 2 gigs of RAM.

it would run for a little while, pause for a minute or two while the
hard drive went chunka-chunka, then eventually come back to life.
not pleasant.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.