[CentOS] 32-bit CentOS

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 9 20:10:09 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-09 15:01, MAILIST wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 14:40, Dave Close <dave at compata.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that CentOS 7 was the last one with a 32-bit version. I'm
>>> trying to install it on an older laptop and having some trouble.
>
> I tried to resurrect a 32-bit desktop with a Pentium 4 processor by
> installing CentOS 7 32-bit version.  Everything installed OK, but after
> the first boot, the performance was unusable.  And, the X11 would
> crash repeatedly.  CentOS 7-32 is completely useless.

CentOS will not be good choice of system for this case. Linux grows in
its demands to hardware rather fast. Not as fast as MS Windows does (I
remember when 2000 was released someone stuck "bloated pig" to it ;-)

Much better choice would be FreeBSD (or any of BSD descendants, e.g.
netbsd).

I hope this helps.

Valeri

> Then, I tried Ubuntu 16-32 with the Gnome desktop.  No crashes, but the
> performance was unusable, although much better than CentOS 7-32.
>
> Then, I tried Lubuntu 18-32, and I have a usable system now.  Lubuntu is
> Ubuntu with a light-weight desktop designed for computers with limited
> resources.
>
> I have also installed Xubuntu 12 on a laptop with a Pentium M processor
> (pre-PAE capability for extended memory addressing).  It performed
> acceptably.  Xubuntu is another light-weight Linux with the XFCE desktop.
>
> Todd Merriman

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago