[CentOS] Mate on Centos 7

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Fri Jul 19 11:31:46 UTC 2019

On 19/07/19 11:06 PM, James Pearson wrote:
>>> No, definitely not. I use MATE on C7, because Gnome is, how do I
>>> say this politely..., um, horrible. Not a KDE fan either.
>>>
>>> Gnome-2.x wasn't broken, didn't need to be thrown away and replaced
>>> by something completely different.
>> Not broken, but full of bugs that will never get fixed.

I keep seeing posts about alternative desktops - great, just another of
the things that make linux the OS of choice - you have choice; even
about which desktop management system you wish to use.

I have not tried mate for a number of years, it was quite simple and
basic to use, but also lacked some of the polish we see in the market
place, I have tried KDE and usually just use gnome, at whatever
iteration RH and CentOS put out. KDE out of the box a year or so ago
caused me some major grief to do with files and indexes and loosing disk
space, so I walked away. Gnome has not been kind to developers like
myself, and those trying to do real work with their work-stations -
things that once were easy have become more difficult, however I have
found solutions to most of the problems the later releases have introduced.

Why bring this up? Well I guess I agree with some of the sentiment
expressed often by a regular group of list contributors, but I also find
it going stale.

Change in the IT world is a constant. Not all of it is progress, in the
sense of getting closer to a particular goal. However, it must be
recognised that there are many, many different goals out there, and many
of those will not be convergent, thus some gain, others loose.

So at the end of the day, we make our choice, and live with the
consequences. I am looking forward to spinning up CentOS 8 in the next
month or two and seeing what that works like for my particular mix of
tasks. It seems RH has chosen to support gnome desktop, thus for better
or worse, that's where I'll go too. CentOS has far too many other
benefits for me to go elsewhere.

HUGE thanks to all the CentOS team and those that offer their experience
to help and assist others - it makes my computing world function more or
less reliably and deterministically, and all under my ability to observe
and use.

Thanks for reading, please forgive my slightly off topic rant.

Rob