[CentOS] how to increase DNS reliability?

hw hw at gc-24.de
Thu Jul 25 20:31:27 UTC 2019

On 7/25/19 9:11 PM, mark wrote:
> hw wrote:
>> On 7/25/19 4:07 PM, Giles Coochey wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Sounds like you're performing maintenance on your servers
>>>

>>> (a) too often
>>> (b) during office / peak hours
>>>

>> I can't help it when the primary name server goes down because the UPS
>> fails the self test and tells the server it has 2 minutes or so left in
>> wich case the server figures it needs to shut down.  I wanted better UPSs
> <snip>
> Change that. Are you using apcupsd? You can set the config from
> SHUTDOWN=/sbin/shutdown to /bin/false. Then, the next time you see the
> UPS, change the battery. If it's just started to complain, it's not dead
> yet!
>
> Works for me with all of our mostly APC SmartUPS 3000 rackmounts.

I don't remember which UPS it was, either the crappy one for which a
replacement battery was already waiting to be put in, or the normal one
that already had a new battery in it which is either broken or doesn't
get charged ...

That's how I rather have not everything go dark even when Murphy comes
along.  I have generally deprecated all non-rackmount UPSs, and being
able to change batteries without outage has become a requirement.