[CentOS] how to increase DNS reliability?

hw hw at gc-24.de
Thu Jul 25 20:51:19 UTC 2019

On 7/25/19 7:10 PM, Nataraj wrote:
> [...]
>
> I meant to say:
>
> Configure all dns servers as secondary/slaves (one should be the primary master) for your own domains.  Thos means that all of your servers are authoritative for your own domains, so they cannot fail on local dns lookups due to Internet problems.

Ah!?

When I had it happen a couple years ago and wondered why even local
names couldn't be resolved (which didn't make sense to me because the
server would always know about them from the zone files), I was told
that nothing could be done about it because DNS is designed to do
lookups no matter what.

However, that was a server acting as both a local master and as a
forwarder.  If what you say is true, I would now understand this much
better --- and I'd need to change my setup.