[CentOS] initramfs annoyances (I think)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 12:17:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 16:50, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
> >
> >> Am 29.07.2019 um 22:37 schrieb J Martin Rushton via CentOS
> >> <centos at centos.org>:

> >> Don't shoot the messenger, but have you checked
> >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* ?  For that matter, have you
> >> checked /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases?
> >
> > or fixed IP from DHCP server?
> >
> Yep. ifcfg-em1 is set to dhcp.
>
> A bit more info: we're encrypted, and when it reboots, it can't find the
> tang server (using clevis/tang), so it hangs, and if I let it drop me to
> the emergency shell, I see the old IP address.

I know this one! The problem is that encrypted servers initrd.img have the
ip addresses set in them. I am not sure why it happens.. but it does.. I
had to manually edit the initrd.img and find all the places where the old
ip addresses were mentioned to make it work. You can't just make a new
initrd because it copies these configs over from the previous one. Pain in
the #@!$% @$$.

> I've been looking at this, and what's gotten really weird is that if I do
> a host tang on the server, it gives *two* different IPs... one of which
> has not been a dhcpd or tang server since last year. And tang<fqdn> is not
> in the organization DNS. So I'm sitting here, trying to figure out where
> it's getting both IPs from.  Our dhcpd server knows the correct tang
> server.
>
> And the /etc/hosts on the server consists of
> 127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
> localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
> localhost6.localdomain6
>
> so it's not the hosts file.
>
>      mark
>  As I said, used the organizational lookup, and it doesn't find tang.

Stephen J Smoogen.