[CentOS] Installation question?

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 20:53:44 UTC 2019

Pete Biggs writes:
> On Tue, 2019-07-30 at 13:24 -0400, John Chludzinski wrote:
> > I've been doing a CentOS 7.6.1810 net-install since last night. The machine
> > seems ok but has been stuck with "performing post-installation setup tasks"
> > for hours. This is an old Dell T5400 box, so it isn't blazing fast but ...
> >
> > Is there a way to pull up its skirt (so to speak) and check/monitor the
> > installation activity while installing it? Having already started the
> > installation?
> >
> Yes, there are shells running on the alternative consoles, so if you
> are doing a GUI install then do Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to the text console
> - that console is the one running the install and may have some error
> messages. Do Alt-F2 from there to get to a shell prompt with root
> privileges, Alt-F3 for the anaconda log, Alt-F4 for the storage log,
> Alt-F5 for other log messages and Alt-F6 to get back to the GUI
> install.

It is my experience too that starting with CentOS 7, "post-installation setup tasks" take up an inproportionate amount of time during. All I was able to find out was that the kickstart %post section was not the culprit.

It would be nice to have some detailed documentation what these post-installation tasks actually are. ISTR a lot of dracut this and that showing up in top.