[CentOS] HPE ProLiant - support Linux Vendor Firmware Service ?

Mon Jul 1 19:21:51 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

lejeczek via CentOS wrote:
> On 01/07/2019 18:38, mark wrote:
>> lejeczek via CentOS wrote:
>>>
>>> does anybody here runs on HPE ProLiant? I was hoping you can tell
>>> whether HPE support Linux Vendor
>>> Firmware Service and you actually get to upgrade ProLiants'
>>> BIOS/firmware via fwupdmgr?
>>>
>> Dunno 'bout "Linux Vendor Firmware Service", but HPE support, ah,
>> yeah... let's not go there. And they *really* want you to use MS DOS to
>> update the firmware. Oh, and when we had support in to do repairs about
>> 6 or so
>> months ago on our small SGI supercomputer (they bought SGI), the techs
>> were worried, because HPE was spinning off support to Unisys, and how
>> they were going to get parts....
>>
>> mark "at least it's not Oracle/Sun support is all I can say"
>>
> hi, thanks for the info. And you have tried fwupdmgr and no positive
> results? Which Gen your ProLiants are?

I don't remember if I ever used that. Only had one HP Proliant, and did
not like it - a gen 5, I think it was, and, on boot, 70 sec *before* the
logo even appeared. That system was my "why I don't care about systemd SEE
HOW FAST WE BOOT!!!", when it took almost five MINUTES before it ever got
to the grub screen.
<snip>
> Dell, which I have had for many years, do their own OMSA
> which is better than nothing but this too is flaky at times. I also a few
> years ago got Dell's tech support telling me to do MS-DOS stuff in order
> to update BIOS.

As I just said in another post, I've never had tech support tell me that.
They give me a link for a .BIN, which I run, and it's an shell script with
embedded binary software.

> I'm thinking & hoping that maybe IBM, since they are now
> Redhat, will supply us with premium grade software support
> for their hardware. Although IBM is a bit like Intel in my opinion - they
> do not innovate that much, are old and struggle to understand the end
> users like us.

I dunno 'bout that. IBM hardware has always been really solid, in my
experience. And you have to understand, they do a lot of
service/consulting.

Understand us? IBM's been seriously big in Linux from very early. Hell,
around 18 years ago, one of their folks had the use of a Z-series
mainframe, and maxed it out, using IBM's VM (which goes back to the
seventies, really), with 48,000 separate instances of Linux, and it ran
fine on 32,000 VMs....

Hell, I wasn't happy, a few years ago, when I found out that RH's CEO
since a few years ago was a former exec at... Delta Airlines. I'm sure he
know soooo much about Unix, Linux, or o/s's in general....

     mark