[CentOS] HPE ProLiant - support Linux Vendor Firmware Service ?

Mon Jul 1 20:36:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 12:58:12PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> So what's wrong with using DOS to update firmware?  DOS is a small
> and simple program loader that's unlikely to require much in the way
> of hardware to work and is unlikely to be infected by a virus in
> today's world.

Honestly, I've tried to use a .EXE to update the BIOS on my personal
system, and I never was able to find a bootable FreeDOS image that
could run it from a USB boot disk.  Who has floppy disks anymore?  I
don't even have a CDROM drive.  I never ran DOS so I honestly have no
clue what I'm doing with it.

Fortunately, newer hardware let me drop the executable in the EFI
volume for updates.

> Would you rather have to boot a mulit-gigabyte image of
> who-knows-what that does ghawd-knows-what for what should be simple
> task?

It's not a simple task.  Do it wrong, and you've bricked your system.