[CentOS] Creating KVM-based VM with virt-manager and virt-install on C7

Thu Jul 4 14:31:31 UTC 2019
Phil Wyett <philwyett at kathenas.org>

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 11:23 +0200, Meikel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> for learning purposes I create KVM-based VM with the virt-manager.
> Later
> I get rid of the VM and repeat the "process" again. When recreating
> the
> VM I always enter the same values into the wizard in virt-manager
> (i.e.
> I want to speicfy a given MAC).
>
> I'd like to "automate" this procedure, all of what I do in virt-
> manager
> for creating the new VM, I' d like to do it with a bash script using
> virt-install.
>
> I' wndering if it is possible to "record" the values when I enter
> them
> into virt-manager and extract those values for usage with virt-
> install?
> It's not clear to me when I enter a field in the wizard what is the
> corresponding parameter in virt-install.
>
> Regards,
>
> Meikel

Hi,

I think your looking for:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/virtualization_deployment_and_administration_guide/sect-domain_commands-creating_a_virtual_machine_xml_dump_configuration_file

After you have built the a VM in virt-manager say, with ith this XML
file you can recreate the same VM, modify if needed and create other
VMs etc.

Regards

Phil

--
*** Playing the game for the games sake. ***

IRC: kathenas
Twitter: kathenasorg
Website: https://kathenas.org