[CentOS] qemu uefi boot

Tue Jul 9 12:57:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 08:39:50AM -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am trying to play with qemu uefi booting...
> I found the OVMF package and installed it.
>
> I added the "-bios /usr/share/OVMF/OVMF_CODE.secboot.fd" to my command line.
> when running it says cannot load "/usr/share/OVMF/OVMF_CODE.secboot.fd"
>
> The file is there. I'm trying this on CentOS 7.6
>
> How do I correctly boot UEFI with qemu ?

UEFI boot in qemu continues to be a tech preview[1] so it doesn't
really work that well.  I was able to get C7 to boot with UEFI if a
downgraded the OVMF package to one from 7.3, but that seems pretty
dangerous, so I keep my VMs as BIOS boots for now.

1. RHEL7.6 Release Notes: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/7.6_release_notes/technology_previews_virtualization