[CentOS] how to increase DNS reliability?

Thu Jul 25 17:58:53 UTC 2019
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019, hw wrote:

> On 7/25/19 3:28 PM, Leroy Tennison wrote:
>> If you don't want multiple DNS server entries on the client
>
> I'm ok with them, only the problem is that the clients take their timeouts
> when a server is unreachable, and users panic.

On Linux systems, you can set the timeout in /etc/resolv.conf, e.g.,

# I think the default nameserver timeout is 5; use rotate
# option if you prefer round-robin queries rather than
# always using the first-listed first
nameserver 10.11.12.13 timeout:2 rotate
nameserver 10.11.12.14 timeout:2 rotate

I'll admit that I'm not sure if those options are configurable on Mac
and/or Windows workstations.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com