[CentOS] Alternitives to Firefox...

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 20:12:02 UTC 2019

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 15:59, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> OK, I recently ugraded to the current ESR release of Firefox for CentOS
> 6.
> And I am having problems with the user interface (basically it has become
> hard
> [for me] to use).
>
> What alternitives are there?  (Chrome and Chromium are not possible with
> CentOS, and Chrome and Chromium are actually worse).

Long story short.. there aren't any that work well. The web standards are
constantly changing, and you end up with a web browser where all the pages
look like crap through little fault of the browser. Most browser teams get
burned out and realize they are better off shaving yaks for sweater wool.
Other teams do some level of good enough but they also have to keep up with
newer things which means that trying to run it on EL6 is not going to be
something they want to add to their pile of crap. They also tend towards
keeping up with the Joneses so their interfaces will look like whatever is
Firefox/Chromiums current layout.

In the end, there are three bad choices:
1. Keep an out of date and buggy browser you can work with.. set up the
system to be as sandboxed as possible and assume it is always hacked.
2. Learn to love and/or help improve some text based browser. Since the
graphical layouts will change constantly as GUI standards change.. this is
where I am headed.
3. Try to find a browser out of the few remaining others that works.. most
will want you to be running something much more modern than EL6 (and even
EL7 is probably going to be too old for many).
4. Just use browsers as little as possible and decide to live out life as a
yak herder. [OK this is probably where I am really headed]

Sorry I don't have happier answers

> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> heller at deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services

Stephen J Smoogen.