[CentOS] Alternitives to Firefox...

J Martin Rushton martinrushton56 at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 27 08:37:34 UTC 2019

On 27/06/2019 07:07, Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 27/06/19 7:58 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
>> OK, I recently ugraded to the current ESR release of Firefox for
>> CentOS 6.
>> And I am having problems with the user interface (basically it has
>> become hard
>> [for me] to use).
>>
>> What alternitives are there?  (Chrome and Chromium are not possible with
>> CentOS, and Chrome and Chromium are actually worse).
>>
> I have been using Vivaldi for about 6 months now on my C7 workstation,
> ever since FF dropped the ball on an update and lost all my saved
> passwords. I only have the browser store passwords for non-important
> sites, but there were dozens of them, and I DO NOT back them up onto the
> cloud to be accessible to the great un-washed.
>
> Vivaldi is not as media player friendly i.e. for video content, but to
> be fair I haven't spent much time trying to sort that out.
>
> I find it has some nice tools for my development work / testing, however
> also some bugs as on occasion it will not open a link when I double
> click it in say an email - Vivaldi is set as the default browser. A stop
> and start of the browser sorts that problem. I typically keep my browser
> open for weeks, or until this fault causes too much frustration. It
> remembers all my open tabs so the restart is fairly painless.
>
> HTH

I've just installed Vivaldi and came across the video test page:
https://tekeye.uk/html/html5-video-test-page

If anything doesn't work (in my case it was the MPEG test) start Vivaldi
from the command line and it will tell you what steps to take.

When I re-ran the test MPEG was fine.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS