[CentOS] Does CentOS support aspell?

Sat Jun 8 21:54:19 UTC 2019
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

On 08/06/2019 18:43, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 17:27:19 -0000 (UTC)
> Beartooth wrote:
>

>> 	I haven't run CentOS on a machine of my own for several years;
>> but my domain (NOT the address I post from) is hosted on a machine
>> running CentOS. The list for the mailer I run recommends using aspell,
>> which is not installed (according to rpm -q) on the remote host, as a
>> spellchecker.
>>
>> 	Does anybody here know offhand if CentOS supports it? Or how do I
>> check?
>
> Name        : aspell
> Epoch       : 12
> Version     : 0.60.6.1
> Release     : 9.el7
> Architecture: x86_64
> Install Date: Mon 15 Sep 2014 11:45:56 PM CST
> Group       : Applications/Text
> Size        : 3306022
> License     : LGPLv2+ and LGPLv2 and GPLv2+ and BSD
> Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Thu 03 Jul 2014 06:40:17 PM CST, Key ID 24c6a8a7f4a80eb5
> Source RPM  : aspell-0.60.6.1-9.el7.src.rpm
> Build Date  : Mon 09 Jun 2014 05:04:40 PM CST
> Build Host  : worker1.bsys.centos.org
> Relocations : (not relocatable)
> Packager    : CentOS BuildSystem <http://bugs.centos.org>
> Vendor      : CentOS
> URL         : http://aspell.net/
> Summary     : Spell checker
> Description :
> GNU Aspell is a spell checker designed to eventually replace Ispell. It can
> either be used as a library or as an independent spell checker. Its main
> feature is that it does a much better job of coming up with possible
> suggestions than just about any other spell checker out there for the
> English language, including Ispell and Microsoft Word. It also has many
> other technical enhancements over Ispell such as using shared memory for
> dictionaries and intelligently handling personal dictionaries when more
> than one Aspell process is open at once.

Don't use RPM, use yum which is the supported installer:

# yum list aspell
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, priorities
 * centos-sclo-rh: mirrors.ukfast.co.uk
 * centos-sclo-sclo: centos.serverspace.co.uk
 * elrepo: mirrors.coreix.net
 * nux-dextop: li.nux.ro
Available Packages
aspell.i686                  12:0.60.6.1-9.el7    base
aspell.x86_64                12:0.60.6.1-9.el7    base

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS