[CentOS] Issue with dvd/cdrom drive

Mon Jun 24 11:51:16 UTC 2019
doug schmidt <douglas.j.schmidt at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 3:35 AM Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-06-23 at 22:13 -0400, doug schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm having an issue with my Thinkpad P70 laptop/workstation. This system
> is
> > a dual boot,
> > windows 10 pro and centos 7. I have not needed to use the cdrom until
> now,
> > however the system does not see it in /dev. I know the cdrom works as I
> can
> > use it in windows 10 and when initially installing centos 7, I installed
> > from dvd media. I'm not sure what to check.
>
> By default CDROM drives are usually /dev/sr*
>

> > # hwinfo --block --short
>
> CD drives are not block devices.  Why not use 'hwinfo --cdrom'?
>
> # hwinfo --cdrom --short
> cdrom:
>   /dev/sr0             TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653H

Hi Pete,
I tried --cdrom, just forgot to include in original post;
While searching google, I saw a post where --block --short included cdrom
output.

[root at darkness ~]# ls -al /dev/sr*
ls: cannot access /dev/sr*: No such file or directory
[root at darkness ~]# ls /dev/s*
/dev/sda   /dev/sda3  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sg0       /dev/stderr
/dev/sda1  /dev/sda4  /dev/sdb2  /dev/sg1       /dev/stdin
/dev/sda2  /dev/sdb   /dev/sdb3  /dev/snapshot  /dev/stdout
[root at darkness ~]# hwinfo --cdrom
[root at darkness ~]#

thanks
~d