[CentOS] Vulnerabilities to bind-libs bind-utils - possible to remove these on webservers

Mon Jun 24 15:49:16 UTC 2019
Peda, Allan (NYC-GIS) <Allan.Peda at interpublic.com>

I just tried out removal of bind-utils on a soon to be retired machine.  It seems fine with the caveat that we lose /bin/host and /bin/dig

Perhaps a perl script might suffice to emulate 'host' on machines that might need the occasional networking debug session.  Just typed this up, so FWIW:

use Net::DNS;

my $res = Net::DNS::Resolver->new();
my $sought = $ARGV[0];
my $a_query = $res->search($sought);
if ($a_query) {
  foreach my $rr ($a_query->answer) {
    if( $rr->type eq 'A' ){
      printf("%s has address %s\n", $sought, $rr->address);
    } elsif( $rr->type eq 'CNAME' ){
      printf("%s is an alias for %s\n", $sought, $rr->cname);
      $sought = $rr->cname;
    }
  }
} else {
    warn "Unable to obtain a record for $ARGV[0]: ", $res->errorstring, "\n";
}

On 6/24/19, 10:02 AM, "CentOS on behalf of mark" <centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

    Peda, Allan (NYC-GIS) wrote:
    > I think the subject says it all.  We don't run named.  It seems there are
    > chronic issues with bind.  Can these packages be removed?
    >
    > We locally authenticate. I see this:
    >
    > Removing for dependencies:
    > bind-utils ipa-client sssd sssd-ad sssd-ipa
    >
    > We shouldn't need any of that with local authentication (/etc passwd and
    > /etc/shadow) right?

    Are you running sssd? Are you connected to the AD?

        mark (we do, and we are)