[CentOS] Replacing kernel-headers with custom compiled version (from kernel.org) - safe?

Thu Jun 27 21:52:16 UTC 2019
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 6/26/19 4:54 PM, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> So is it safe to install kernel RPMs generated by compilation from
> kernel.org tarball, or should I stick to manual
> install?

You probably don't need to install the devel package unless you plan to
also build third-party kernel modules.

You shouldn't need to install the headers package.  The content of that
package *should* be the same as the one that was provided by the vendor
(CentOS), and if it is not then you would need to rebuild glibc in
addition to replacing them.  The same is true for "make
headers_install": It shouldn't change anything, and shouldn't be necessary.