[CentOS] raid 5 install

Fri Jun 28 05:01:00 UTC 2019
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Le 27/06/2019 à 15:36, Nikos Gatsis - Qbit a écrit :
> Do I have to consider anything before installation, because the disks
> are very large?

I'm doing this kind of installation quite regularly. Here's my two cents.

1. Use RAID6 instead of RAID5. You'll lose a little space, but you'll
gain quite some redundancy.

2. The initial sync will be very (!) long, something like a day or two.
You can use your server during that time, but he'll not be very responsive.

3. Here's a neat little trick you can use to speed up the initial sync.

  $ sudo echo 50000 > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min

I've written a detailed blog article about the kind of setup you want.
It's in French, but the Linux bits are universal.

https://www.microlinux.fr/serveur-lan-centos-7/

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat