[CentOS] nvidia on 7.6

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Sat Mar 2 10:41:44 UTC 2019

On 27/02/2019 20:34, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 27/02/2019 20:29, Jerry Geis wrote:
>>> I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to fix the elrepo package
>>> and get it reinstated into the repository.
>>
>>> Phil
>>

>> Hi Phil, Thanks for the reply. Your correct this is OLD hardware.
>> Everything was working with 7.5 thought I was good to go so to speak
>> ... So When I was starting now to migrate OLD boxes from CentOS 6 to
>> 7.6 it wasnt working.
>>
>> I can look at going "back" to using the NVIDIA binary, I had just
>> recently switched the kmod-nvidia. :)
>>
>> I'd rather "not" use nouvue(?) tried once way back and was not pleasant.
>>
>> Thanks so much - I'll wait a few days to see if you have time to
>> compile, before switching back to binary. Other issue with that...
>> which is why kind folks suggested here to move to kmod-nvidia.
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

> No problem - I'll see if I can get it done this weekend, and let you
> know here if I have.
>
> For now I'd say stick with the nouveau driver for a few days and see how
> it works for you, then if you feel the need to install the nvidia
> drivers once I've had a change to fix the package, the choice is yours.
>
> Phil

Hi Gerry,

I've updated the nvidia 340xx legacy package set for el7.6, and released
the packages to the elrepo testing repository.

Please could you test them and let me know if they work as expected. To
install:

yum --enablerepo=elrepo-testing install kmod-nvidia-340xx
nvidia-x11-drv-340xx nvidia-x11-drv-340xx-libs

if you need 32-bit support then you will also need to install the
corresponding nvidia-x11-drv-340xx-libs-340.107-2.el7_6.elrepo.i686.rpm
package.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure these packages are going to work as the
340 series NVIDIA driver predates the conversion to GLVND (support was
added in version 361), see here:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/915640/multiple-glx-client-libraries-in-the-nvidia-linux-driver-installer-package/

but I have no way to test them so I'll leave that to you.

Phil