[CentOS] CentOs 7 i386 & PAE Kernel

Mike McTernan (wavemobile) mike.mcternan at wavemobile.com
Wed Mar 6 12:26:43 UTC 2019

On 3/5/19 5:48 PM,  Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 3/4/19 3:39 PM, Mike McTernan (wavemobile) wrote:
> > Looking around, I found the following repo:
> > https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/centos-altarch/7/kernel/i386/
> That directory (kernel/ under altarch) is basically for the armhfp main kernel,
> but we are building also for aarch64, i386 and even x86_64.  Its purpose
> (other than armhfp, where it is the main kernel) is mainly for IoT type
> hardware (think hobby boards, embedded systems, etc that need newer
> kernels for hardware support .. think things like this:
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/solutions/iot.html
>
> or
>
> 64 bit aarch64 bit type IoT boards, etc.
>
> You certainly CAN use them on anything you want and it will be maintained
> as it is the main kernel for armhfp.

That’s excellent, and most helpful.  So that brings support for newer
hardware, AND provides a PAE version which works on all my hardware
nicely.

This might be useful to a number of people, and it was only through looking
around CentOS 7 on Raspberry Pi that I happened across the kernel repo.
Might it be worth linking to the repo from the AltArch/i386 page:

https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/i386

> Both of these branches / repos are NOT designed to run Enterprise type
> workloads (that is why we have the main RH kernel from RHEL sources) ..

Yep - wise words and duly noted, thank you.  My application is small scale,
so should be fine.  Software is only as good as the testing anyway :-)

Last question, if I may - Is there any specific reason why an i686 PAE kernel
built from the main RHEL sources isn't in the AltArch i386 os- repo?

Notably CentOS 6 provided both non-PAE and PAE 32-bit kernels, and it's
that step from CentOS 6 32-bit PAE onto CentOS 7 32-bit which made me
stumble, but okay now.

Many Thanks again,

Mike
--

wavemobile
Warning: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity