[CentOS] CentOs 7 i386 & PAE Kernel

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 15:49:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:23 AM Mike McTernan (wavemobile)
<mike.mcternan at wavemobile.com> wrote:

> On 3/6/19 1:28 PM,  Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On 3/6/19 6:26 AM, Mike McTernan (wavemobile) wrote:
> > > On 3/5/19 5:48 PM,  Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Last question, if I may - Is there any specific reason why an i686 PAE
> > > kernel built from the main RHEL sources isn't in the AltArch i386 os- repo?
> > >
> > > Notably CentOS 6 provided both non-PAE and PAE 32-bit kernels, and
> > > it's that step from CentOS 6 32-bit PAE onto CentOS 7 32-bit which
> > > made me stumble, but okay now.
> >
> > The only reason is .. it is not included in the mainline RHEL 7 kernel source
> > code.
>
> Ah - I guess since mainline RHEL 7 is only 64-bit on x86 now, it doesn't have to worry about PAE vs non-PAE kernels.

> > I have no objections trying to make PAE work with that kernel .. Patches
> > accepted :D
> >
> > https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6828
>
> So with what I know now (thank you!) I recon the mainline 4.14 is probably a better tested path for a 32-bit x86 PAE kernel, rather than starting at RHEL 7.  And since you are already building that kernel it's good news all round :-)
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Mike

Going for the 4.14 kernel is absolutely a better choice. The i686 plus
kernel is just lucky to be existing. It would not have been possible
to maintain it without great support from people like Pablo and @kabe.
We initially got the 32-bit version from Springdale (formerly Puias).
Then they stopped building at some point. Building it becomes harder
and harder with each release, it seems. So, there is no guarantee that
there is another update to the i686 plus kernel.

Akemi

Akemi