[CentOS] C 7 anacron issue

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Mar 8 00:29:30 UTC 2019

mark wrote:
> Has anyone else seen a problem recently (like, the last few weeks) with
> anacron? We've got a couple of recently-built systems and we're seeing Mar
> 4 17:20:01 <system> crond[25767]: (root) PAM ERROR (Failure setting
> user credentials) Mar  4 17:20:01 <system> crond[25767]: (root) FAILED to
> authorize user with PAM (Failure setting user credentials)

More data: I started debugging from the PAM end, and now I'm more
confused. I set debug in /etc/pam.d/cron, and when it runs, I see it hit
every line in /etc/security/access.conf, and authentication fails.

+:unbound:cron crond
was already in the file, and at the top, after looking at the rpm, I added
+:root:cron crond :0 tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4 tty5 tty6

and it just strolls past in its listwalk, and says nope. I did try
installing pamtester, and that's completely useless - even with -v, it
just tells me it failed.

Any clues, folks?

      mark