[CentOS] PHP 7.x on CentOS 7 : which solution ?

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Fri Mar 15 07:51:15 UTC 2019

Hi,

As you all know, CentOS 7 is shipping PHP 5.4, which is OK in some
situations. Unfortunately, some applications like OwnCloud require a
more recent version of PHP.

Up until recently, I've been using PHP 5.6 packages from the Webtatic
repository. Despite the bad press this third party repo seems to have,
it has been working perfectly for me for a few years. Here's the PHP 5.6
packages I have on an OwnCloud server:

$ rpm -qa | grep php
php56w-devel-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-pdo-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-gd-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-mysql-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-process-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-pear-1.10.4-1.w7.noarch
php56w-common-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-xml-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-pecl-redis-3.1.6-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-cli-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-mcrypt-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-mbstring-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-pecl-igbinary-2.0.5-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-pecl-apcu-4.0.11-2.w7.x86_64
php56w-intl-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64
php56w-soap-5.6.40-1.w7.x86_64

Now I'll have to upgrade these to some version of PHP 7. So I googled
"php 7 centos 7" and found quite a wealth of - sometimes contradictory -
information.

1. The "recommended" way of doing things seems to be the Red Hat
Software Collections. Correct me if I'm wrong. I wonder if this way of
doing things will enable me to get all the PHP modules listed above.

2. The use of Webtatic seems to be frowned upon. I still have to figure
out why, since this repository has always worked perfectly for me.

3. Then there's another repository managed by Remi Collet. Any thoughts
on that?

And then there's also the question : which version of PHP 7 should I
choose ? On my servers, I'm mainly hosting WordPress, Dolibarr and
OwnCloud.

Any suggestions ? I'm no lamer for doing a bit of RTFM, so a pointer to
documentation will do. The problem is not so much that there is no
information on the subject. It's rather : there's too much. As we say in
France : I'm confused about which saint to send my prayers to. :o)

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr