[CentOS] konqueror vs. centos and mathematics

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 11:01:51 UTC 2019

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 at 19:47, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> I'm running centos 7.
> Firefox spends so much time in th D state that I am trying konqueror.
> Displaying mathematics on wikipedia,
> e.g. Remez algorithm seems to be a no go.
> Wikipedia seems to use tex, so I installed texlive and texlive-* .
> Firefox hadn't needed it and it did not seem to help konqueror.
> My guess is that there is a bit somewhere that I need to flip,
> but I have no idea where it is.
>
> Suggestions?

SVG support in Konqueror is problematic:

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/test-svg-format-browser-engines/
Konqueror is a default browser for KDE, one of the most popular Linux
desktop environments. The ability to render SVG files in Konqueror
depends on the rendering engine. With WebKit enabled our testing SVG
was rendered correctly. However, Konqueror’s default rendering engine,
KHTML, appears to be lacking support of several features: filter
effects are not applied to underlying object and stroke end markers,
and text along path or pattern objects aren’t rendered at all.

So you will need to figure out how to turn on WebKit which may not
have been compiled in for that version. Rex Dieter had a copr with
more modern versions of KDE for EL7 here:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/rdieter/kde4/

> --
> Michael   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
> "Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
> a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
>                                                               --  someeecards

Stephen J Smoogen.