[CentOS] nvidia on 7.6

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Mar 20 18:08:09 UTC 2019

On 2/27/19 12:55 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I have elrepo installed. rpm -qa | grep elrepo gives
> elrepo-release-7.0.3.el7.elrepo.noarch
>
> nvidia detect (which installed) tells me kmod-nvidia-340xx
>
> when I do yum install kmod-nvidia-340xx it is saying no package
> kmod-nvidia-340xx available ?
>
> What did I miss?

OK .. So if you need to have the 32-bit driver as well as the 64-bit one
(for things like steam gaming .. who doesn't like games :D) ... I found
this link on the nvidia site:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/latest.txt

Basically .. that will tell you the last 64 bit driver you can build
which will install 32-bit drivers as well.

Then you can grab those and install them manually.

Phil Perry (of elrepo) might be able to tell us if any of the elrepo
drivers also have 32bit .. I am not sure.

I do know that the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia's site can use
epel's dkms rpm to rebuild drivers for new kernels automatically.

I do know that this driver tree is still getting updates from nvidia ..
and the last one was from 2019-02-08 for 390.116.

These drivers allow me to get fairly good steam gaming performance on
Linux.  I got my initial steam install from the 'nux-dextop' repo.

And this is the link to the current latest driver with 32bit linux support:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/390.116/

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes