[CentOS] CentOs 7 i386 & PAE Kernel

Mon Mar 4 21:39:44 UTC 2019
Mike McTernan (wavemobile) <mike.mcternan at wavemobile.com>

Hi Gurus,

I've been playing with CentOS 7's AltArch i386 builds with some good results on one machine, but can't get it to boot properly on another with a newer Bay Trail CPU.  Previously CentOS 6 i386 worked on both, and that set a legacy I'd like to recreate...

I *think* the problem is that the 7 kernel is non-PAE, and that has some peculiar knock on effect that prevents some PCI devices being seen, notably the device with the rootfs.  CentOS 6 worked on both machines with the PAE kernel.

Looking around, I found the following repo: https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/centos-altarch/7/kernel/i386/

This carries 4.14 (long term support) based -PAE kernels (as well as non-PAE) which look to fix my problem.  However, I can't find any description of this repo or policy on how it is updated or the intended use.  Or why PAE kernels aren't provided as an option in the 'normal' i386 CentOS 7 builds.

If anyone could help explain this repo and the view on PAE for the AltArch i386 builds of CentOS 7, I would be really grateful as I can't find the info anywhere else!

Kind Regards,

Mike
--

wavemobile
Warning: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity