[CentOS] What files to edit when changing the sdX of hard drives?

Fri Mar 1 04:04:45 UTC 2019
Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au>

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 05:19:49PM +0100, Nicolas Kovacs (info at microlinux.fr) wrote:
> Le 28/02/2019 à 04:12, Jobst Schmalenbach a écrit :
> > I want to lock in the SDA/SDB/SDC for my drives
>
> In short : use UUIDs or labels instead of hardcoding /dev/sdX.

I **KNOW** how to use UUID's ... this is NOT the reason why I am doing this!

I *NEED* the order of the disks to be SDA(1st BIOS drive) SDB(2nd BIOS drive) SDC(3rd BIOS drive) and not SDA (1st BIOS drive) SDB(3rd BIOS drive) SDC (2nd BIOS drive).

Reason: it stuffs up the use of grub2* utilities leaving behind a bunch of error messages.
The SDA (1st BIOS drive) and SDB (2nd BIOS drive) are part of a MDADM raid(1) system.

As soon as I plug in the third drive, the OS (or systemD) decides to put it into the SDB spot - I do NOT want that.
When I the use any of the grub2 utils I end up with "missing drive" errors.

If I leave the drive out NO problem. I have managed twice to have the machine booting with the third drive as SDC, when that happens I I do not get any error messages.

Jobst

--
Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?