[CentOS] CentOs 7 i386 & PAE Kernel

Wed Mar 6 13:28:11 UTC 2019
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 3/6/19 6:26 AM, Mike McTernan (wavemobile) wrote:
> On 3/5/19 5:48 PM,  Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 3/4/19 3:39 PM, Mike McTernan (wavemobile) wrote:

<snip>

> Last question, if I may - Is there any specific reason why an i686 PAE kernel
> built from the main RHEL sources isn't in the AltArch i386 os- repo?
>
> Notably CentOS 6 provided both non-PAE and PAE 32-bit kernels, and it's
> that step from CentOS 6 32-bit PAE onto CentOS 7 32-bit which made me
> stumble, but okay now.

The only reason is .. it is not included in the mainline RHEL 7 kernel
source code.

The kernel we are using there is our CentOS Plus kernel.  The reason it
is the CentOS Plus kernel is that the RHEL 7 kernel SPEC does not build
anything on i386 except the kernel-headers rpm.  We already make
modifications to produce a CentOS Plus kernel for x86_64 .. so we also
rolled in changes for making that kernel build on i386.  Since it does
not do PAE by default, we don't do it.

CentOS QA team member Akemi Yagi maintains the plus kernels for both
CentOS-6 and CentOS-7 and QA team member (and armhfp AltArch maintainer)
Pablo Greco also helps her frequently to make changes to that kernel to
make it work with i386.

I have no objections trying to make PAE work with that kernel .. Patches
accepted :D

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6828