[CentOS] CentOS 8 Artwork needed

Fri Mar 8 10:55:57 UTC 2019
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

On 07/03/2019 20:45, Rich Bowen wrote:
> To all the artists and designers here, we need your help.
>
> With RHEL 8 beta released, we need to start producing artwork for CentOS
> 8. It's time for the CentOS Artwork SIG, and anyone else that's
> interested in contributing to this effort, to start working on
> everything that will be needed for the new release.
>
> What we know we need is anaconda artwork, and new desktop backgrounds to
> replace the current '7' themed stuff.
>
> As we dig, we may find more things that need to be updated to the new 8
> theme.
>
> Additionally, we will need to update some of the assets listed here:
> https://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Identity
>
> ... and produce new assets for 8 to be listed here:
> https://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Brand/Logo
>
> And, finally, we need someone to step up to lead this effort.
>
> While we don't yet know for certain when RHEL 8 will officially release,
> it's safe to assume that it's soon, and we need your help.

I'm no artist, so I won't even attempt to actually create artwork.

Having said that, with the current increase in interest in space
activity the old Apollo 8 logo might give us some inspiration.  See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apollo-8-patch.png for the original.

My initial though is for the CentOS logo where the earth is and some
sort of future at the Moon end.  Perhaps a star?  I'm a programmer not a
"creative" so I'll allow artistic types to decide.  If obscuring the
CentOS logo with the lower band of the "8" is unacceptable, then it
would be possible to keep the Earth and put the CentOS logo in place of
the Moon.  Not as strong a message, but still fun.

The three astronauts' names cound be replaced with the word "CentOS", a
slogan (please not "to infinity and beyond"), or simply blanked.  The
colour scheme will obviously depend upon corporate diktat.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS