[CentOS] CPAN not working, or is it?

Tue Mar 12 00:16:43 UTC 2019
Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org>

On 3/11/19 9:53 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Monday 11 March 2019 16:42:21 Pete Biggs wrote:
>> I'm afraid I'm not expert on these things - I tend to do the naughty
>> thing of using CPAN to install in system locations!
> Hi Peter,
>
> Do you have any instructiions on how to do this? I realise it's far from
> ideal, but I need to get this system working, and can do it on a stand alone
> server.
>
>> But I think the .spec file generated, or the variables used for the
>>

>> it is trying to package ..../usr/share/
>>
>> I think you need the help of someone who knows about .spec files!
>>
> I did wonder if maybe my rpmbuild spec is wrong as every RPM I'm trying to
> create is looking in the wrong location for the man pages, and the perl
> module files.  I commented out the line for the man pages, but can't comment
> out the perl modules :)

What often happens when you have "larger" modules, they reply on libraries.  To build the perl module from source, you need to devel rpm of the library installed to link against.

example
libxml2-2.7.6-21.el6_8.1.x86_64
libxml2-devel-2.7.6-21.el6_8.1.x86_64

XML::Simple won't build unless the devel is present

CPAN isn't real good at reporting why the build failed, just that it failed.

What I've learned to  do when I have this sort of issue is to pop out of CPAN and into ~/.cpan/build.

Locate the unpacked module and try the build manually.

I get better errors that way.