[CentOS] boot issue with latest kernel

Wed Mar 20 12:59:07 UTC 2019
Young, Gregory <gregory.young at solarwinds.com>

Hi Keith,

Is this a VM running on top of Hyper-V by chance? There seems to be an issue with the combination of:
- Windows 10 1708 or newer.
- Hyper-V config version 8.2 - 9.0.
- Microsoft's Fix for Spectre and Meltdown.
- Newer Intel Hardware (Sandy Lake/Kaby Lake, etc.)

The workaround seems to be to remove "rhgb" and "quiet" from the kernel line in the GRUB config (you may need to edit the command line from the grub menu before booting).

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS <centos-bounces at centos.org> On Behalf Of Keith Keller
Sent: March 13, 2019 7:43 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] boot issue with latest kernel

Hi all,

Has anyone seen this issue before?  This afternoon, I tried updating a bare metal CentOS 6 box, and got some odd error messages on the console during booting kernel 2.6.32-754.11.1.  (These aren't exact, I forgot to try to get a photo of the console.)

sd 0:0:4:0 timed out resetting card
3w-sas timed out resetting card

Then the boot would simply hang, with no obvious disk activity on the drives and no other messages on the console.  Reverting back to an earlier kernel (2.6.32-431.17.1) was perfectly fine.  (Obviously this is quite old hardware, but until today had never had problems.)

I noticed in the CentOS 6.10 changelog that 3w-sas has been deprecated, but that it should still be supported.  And even if 3w-sas had been removed, I don't think that wouldn't explain timeouts on sd.

I have done a bunch of searches on the CentOS forums and on the web, but didn't find anything specific to this issue with various combinations of the error message keywords.  If you have any pointers for me I would greatly appreciate it!

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us