[CentOS] How to install ansible in centos

Fri Mar 22 07:23:00 UTC 2019
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 21/03/2019 17:27, Sanjay Walke wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to know how to configure yum repo for Ansible.

While some people already answered with "it's in EPEL" (and they are
absolutely right), there are other alternatives.
While EPEL would only support one branch (so actually they jumped to
$latest, aka 2.7.8 for now), there are cases when one needs to stick
with a particular version of ansible, also because of ensuring that
playbook code is still working, having to reflected deprecated things, etc.

Or that can be also (thinking about openshift and openshift-ansible
deployment, that only support 2.6.x and break with 2.7.x for now), that
some other tools in your framework depend on a specific version too.

That's the reason why the CentOS Configuration Management SIG still
builds and provide ansible :
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/configmanagement/x86_64/

We (CentOS Infra, for some reasons explained above) still rely on 2.6.x,
so installing (without epel) that release is just a matter of :
yum install -y centos-release-ansible26 && yum install ansible

Of course, if you mix that with Epel, don't forget to put an exclude in
epel yum repo config (exclude=ansible) to stick with the one from
cfgmgmt SIG :)

So don't also get me wrong : I'm *not* saying that the Epel version
isn't good, but I just wanted to offer alternatives, and also reasons
why they exist

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab