[CentOS] CentOS 7 - AltArch i386 - DVD iso?

Fri Mar 22 12:34:55 UTC 2019
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 2/2/19 5:47 PM, Brendan Brewster wrote:
> Just curious. In the two most recent releases of CentOS 7 AltArch i386
> there has not been made available a DVD iso (or the live ones) alongside
> NetInstall/Minimal/Everything. Any plans to make available the DVD
> variation for the current or future releases?
>
> For older 32-bit hardware, it can be nice to be able to burn a single layer
> DVD.

Currently all the Alternative arches get the same ISOs .. which are
Everything, Minimal, NetInstall.  (except of course for armhfp .. were
the install is very different).

It takes a bunch of extra work / testing to develop the DVD install ISO.
 It requires a unique package list to only include items needed from the
installer.

I would say that the best way to install CentOS is with the Minimal
install and yum groups afterwards .. or a net install.

I will never say never, but unless we have some community people develop
the file lists for point release time, I don't see us doing more ISOs
type for several reasons.  two of which are:

1) It is very chaotic at point release time and people want things
faster than we can release them. Developing the file lists that can make
the DVD installer work OK takes time we don't really have.

2) Adding 20 or 30 more GB of to our mirrors , when scaled to 600 or so
mirrors worldwide is a lot of extra storage and bandwidth.

If we eliminate the Everything ISO we might do DVD only .. BUT .. i am
usually afraid to do that.

Anyway .. x86_64 is the main supported architecture and we don't
currently plan to add more isos, certainly not without help maintaining
the file lists that a DVD iso would require.  More important than the
list is the install testing to make sure it all works before release.

Here is the repo where we maintain lists and comps (group) files:
https://git.centos.org/summary/sig-core!comps.git

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes