[CentOS] RHEL 8 released

Thu May 9 15:38:10 UTC 2019
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 5/7/19 9:07 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> This morning Red Hat announced the general availability of Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 8.
>
> More details at
> https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-enterprise-linux-8-every-enterprise-every-cloud-every-workload?sc_cid=701f2000001OIIOAA4

A summary about this process will be maintained here:

https://wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8

We were working with the beta packages (and fedora as necessary) to
create the Loop O packages for x86_64, i686, ppc64le, aarch64 arches ..
to be used to create our initial set of test packages from the source
code released to git.centos.org.

We will also have an armhfp arch .. but there is no RHEL 8 Beta for that
arch and that initial bootstrap process will be much different than the
other RHEL supported arches.  As such, it will be done completely
differently on a separate build system. And that process will likely
include a couple more of the iteration loops and have more bootstrap
processes, etc.

We obviously can not yet make an educated guess on WHEN this process
might or might not be completed .. or WHEN the new version will be
available.  We are shifting to a new koji build setup for the CentOS
Linux 8 process.  We are also shifting to a new pungi process for
creating images, install media, etc.  All of this is new to the project
for building distros and it is a learning process for us as well.

As an initial goal, we would love to have a release in a month .. but of
course, we really do not have ample information at this time to make a
real estimate of time required or obstacles we may encounter .. This is
very much an iterative process with each step depending on the step
before .. and each step may need to be repeated several time before we
can move on. As we continue on with the process, we will update the
above link, and as we get closer we will provide a better estimate.

Rest assured that we are working on this and other than security updates
for CentOS Linux 6 and 7 (which will take priority when they happen) ..
this is our top priority.  And as usual, our volunteer QA team will be
helping us tremendously in completing this process.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes