[CentOS] HERE document in docker script file

agents at meddatainc.com
Wed May 1 00:30:45 UTC 2019

On 04/30/2019 02:54 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 4:44 AM H <agents at meddatainc.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to use a HERE document in a docker script file to generate a
>> text file but must be doing something wrong since I get a warning message
>> that I did not expect:
>>
>> EOF: line 6: warning: here-document at line 0 delimited by end-of-file
>> (wanted `EOF')
>>
>> This is the sample script I am testing in my docker file:
>>
>> RUN bash -c "$(/bin/echo -e "cat << 'EOF' | tee -a /test.txt \
>>     \n<test> \
>>     \n  someting here \
>>     \n  something else here \
>>     \n</test>")" \
>> EOF
>>
>> Can anyone see what is wrong in the above statement?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> The second EOF should be before  the part ")" \ and not after, because it
> has to represent the closure of the first one above....
>
> So it should be something like this (I have put /tmp/test.txt as I tested
> as non root user that cannot write into /)
>
> bash -c "$(/bin/echo -e "cat <<EOF | tee -a /tmp/test.txt \
> \n<test> \
> \n something here \
> \n</test>
> EOF
> ")"
>
> I also removed the single apex from the first 'EOF'.
>
> I get:
>
> [g.cecchi at ope46 ~]$ ll /tmp/test.txt
> ls: cannot access '/tmp/test.txt': No such file or directory
>
> [g.cecchi at ope46 ~]$ bash -c "$(/bin/echo -e "cat <<EOF | tee -a
> /tmp/test.txt \
>> \n<test> \
>> \n something here \
>> \n</test>
>> EOF
>> ")"
> <test>
>  something here
> </test>
>
> [g.cecchi at ope46 ~]$ cat /tmp/test.txt
> <test>
>  something here
> </test>
> [g.cecchi at ope46 ~]$
>

> HIH,
> Gianluca

Thank you but in the docker script (running under Centos 7), I get error messages unless I add \ as below. However, the below script still results in an error message:

RUN bash -c "$(/bin/echo -e "cat <<EOF | tee -a /tmp/test.txt \
\n<test> \
\n something here \
\n</test> \
EOF \
")"

bash: line 13: warning: here-document at line 0 delimited by end-of-file (wanted `EOF')

It looks like I need to make some additional changes when it is used in a docker script?