[CentOS] What happened if install a el7 package on a el6 system

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue May 7 09:50:35 UTC 2019

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 04:06, wuzhouhui <wuzhouhui14 at mails.ucas.ac.cn> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, I encountered a interesting phenomenon that CentOS 6.3
> running as normal even if I (my colleague, actually) installed a
> kernel that build for CentOS 7.x (e.g. kernel-3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64.rpm).
>
> I found kernel is mismatch accidentally when I using "uname -r" to
> check kernel version. So my question is what the harmness we will
> get if I install a el7 rpm into a el6 system?

Many CentOS-7 packages will not install because they will need dependencies
that the EL-6 does not have. The kernel is different because it is mostly
self-contained and meant to be parallel installed. In most cases, it should
result in an unbootable system because the boot is going to be
dracut+systemd bits and the EL-6 has none of that.

> Thanks.

Stephen J Smoogen.