[CentOS] What happened if install a el7 package on a el6 system

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Tue May 7 21:21:54 UTC 2019

I found kernel is mismatch accidentally when I using "uname -r" to
> check kernel version. So my question is what the harmness we will
> get if I install a el7 rpm into a el6 system?

I would say it depends on the dependencies. If its just some userspace
tooling then it will probably work ok. Its just x86_64 binaries after all.
When you start getting into drivers and system level libraries then your
probably gonna have a bad time but even then, the kernel doesn't change
that much. Most of the new kernel stuff is for obscure virtualisation /
containerisation techniques.

Of course daemons will be a difficult area as the SystemD stuff might not
there but it seems that there is still a lot of packages that ship with
init.d scripts.

I generally found el6 packages to be generally compatable with el7 and vice
versa but there is no guarantee that the next update wont horribly break
your system. In fact, it probably will :)

Security was often a second concern to ' this system will horribly break if
we update it so lets just turn off the internet!'